Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A horrible Defense! But it Worked!


A professor of mine once said that the court trials in all of the Tv shows are quite inaccurate. He says that it’s not that exciting, there is a lot of research, and a lot of work involved. I wanted to become a lawyer so bad, because I always thought I would get that DUN DUN, every time we’d go to a commercial or to the next scene. SVU addresses a lot of the delicate issues that have come up in our world nowadays, from kidnaping to sodomy, to battery, to selling children on the black market.
A case that I saw recently was one where there was a student who sexually assaulted his teacher,, and when he went to trial, his defense attorney fought a case that he was mentally disturbed. He even brought experts to testify that he had a problem with his brain, that makes him want to have sex all of the time. So the kid get’s off but has to go to 18 months in a mental prison. I kind of disliked what the young man’s attorney did here. I didn’t believe in that defense at all.
Inside that prison he get’s attacked by an elder man, and he was injured. When that guy goes to the interrogation room, he says to the cops. “ I have that same disease that kid’s got, I’m just wired wrong, I can’t help it” So now his defense attorney is going to use that in his favor, in order to get him off. That just ticked me off, at the fact that every future rapist is going to try to use that excuse that they can’t help them selves, and then no one would be safe anymore, might as well just get rid of the entire court system, because the defense attorney is just going to win that case.

No comments: